GÉANT Community Award
GÉANT honours community members who have made outstanding contributions to collaborative work and the development of services and technologies, people who have shared their ideas, expertise and time with the community.
We recognise that such contributions are often provided voluntarily and through the good will of employer organisations.
16 February 2024 - Nominations close
11 March 2024 - Shortlist is published - Voting opens
29 March 2024 - Voting closes
15 April 2024 - Community Award Committee selects awardee
11 June 2024 - GÉANT Community Award announcement and ceremony
Purpose of the GÉANT Community Award
GÉANT can be described in three dimensions: Network, Services and People. The GÉANT Community Award focuses on the people and how they work on a global scale to further the role and value of research and education networking.
The GÉANT Community Award recognises individuals who have made a real impact to the GÉANT Community. Nominations come from across the entire global research and education networking community.
Once a shortlist of nominees is identified the community are invited to vote to show their support for individual nominees.
Shortlist of nominees
- Chair of the GÉANT Board of Directors - Gilles Massen (Restena)
- Chair of the GÉANT Community Committee – Claudio Allocchio (GARR)
- Co-Chair of the GÉANT Community Committee – Paul Rouse (GÉANT)
- Chair of the TNC24 Programme Committee – Alexander van der Hil (SURF)
- CEO / representative of TNC24 host organisation – Boris Dintrans (RENATER)
- CEO GÉANT – Erik Huizer
Who can nominate
- Representatives of NRENs and their connected institutions
- Staff employed or sub-contracted by GÉANT, by GÉANT Project partner organisations, or by GÉANT member organisations (associates and national or representative members)
- Individuals who participate in one or more GÉANT task force, special interest group, or other GÉANT activities, whether by attending meetings or simply being in the mailing list
- Individuals who have been awarded the GÉANT Community Award
- Current and former members of the GÉANT Community Award Committee
Candidates eligible for the GÉANT Community Award are individuals who have made a positive impact for the GÉANT Community. Here we define the GÉANT Community as the GÉANT Association, it’s Members and their connected institutes.
Any impact should be at this GÉANT Community scale, i.e. beyond national.
Eligible recipients include NREN staff, staff of institutions served by NRENs, GÉANT staff, GÉANT project participants.
Self-nominations cannot be accepted.
While posthumous recognitions will be considered, it is envisaged that the community award principally honours active members of the community.
- Initiators of significant new ideas or improvements which have had lasting impact on the organisation, project or community.
- Unique and passionate dedication to the GÉANT project or wider community activities over a sustained period of time.
- Outstanding contributions to the project or community which have immediately led to significant and recognisable new ideas, developments, or improvements over the last 12 months.
The award ceremony and celebration take place at TNC, GÉANT's flagship conference.