Building Sustainable Software Projects by Using Good Licensing Practices
Open-Source Software (OSS) is broadly used in almost all software development projects in the GÉANT project, and so good practice of using appropriate licenses is crucial to protect GÉANT applications and organisation.
What you will learn
This course provides a practical dive into the open-source licensing and compliance practices. The course is led by OSS experts: Andrew Katz and Alex Murphy from Orcro Limited. By applying what you explore in this class, you will be able to:
- Apply general open-source licensing concepts subject to a permissive, copyleft or non-open-source licence
- Combine components under different licences into a single application.
- Select components for your project, based on the licence applicable and other criteria.
- Determine whether components under different licences are compatible based on a license matrix
- Detecting incompatibilities and other issues using WhiteSource (now Mend) compliance tooling
- Apply criteria involved in selecting an out-licence for a project using both a manual selection process (using a component spreadsheet) and compliance tooling (WhiteSource – now Mend).
Who should attend
This course has been designed for software developers and engineers who are contributing to open-source projects and/or developing internal projects. It is also recommended to leaders responsible for the development tasks in the GÉANT project
If you did not attend the Open-Source Software Licensing workshop earlier this year, you can find the recording and slides from that workshop on eAcademy. These will give you a good introduction to this practical class.
Live Online Session:
Duration: 8 hours live online (over 2 days with short breaks)
Eligibility: This course is primarily open to contributors to the GÉANT project.
Group size: Max 30 people
Please register on Indico: https://events.geant.org/event/1389/
Training will be delivered via Zoom. Facilitated by ORCRO. A recording of the training will be made available on GÉANT’s online learning platform, eAcademy.
Day 1, 5th April 2023
|10:30||Welcome, (re)introductions, training overview.|
|10:45||Introductory poll & quiz|
|11:00||Learning to apply open source licensing concepts for permissive, copyleft, or non-open source code|
|12:15||Learning when components (under different licences) can be combined into a single application|
|13:00||Licence combination quiz|
|14:30||Automated tools introductory poll|
|14:45||Leveraging automated tools (Mend) to detect incompatibilities|
|15:15||Automated tools Q&A and quiz|
|15:30||Wrap-up and end of day 1|
Business case Preparation
The facilitator introduces a real life GÉANT business case the participants will use in the skills practice session on day 2.
Day 2, 6th April 2023
|10:30||Welcome back, review of day 1, overview of remaining training|
|10:45||Day 1 review quiz|
|11:00||Learning to select components for your project, based on applicable criteria|
|11:30||Component selection quiz|
|12:00||Learning to apply criteria involved in selecting an out-licence (manually + with Mend)|
|12:30||Practical licence selection activity|
|13:30||Wrap-up and end of day 2|